Process Safety Management Solution
Oftentimes, major incidents arising from process related events are beyond the control of a single operator and due to the complex nature of many processes, process hazards may not be as obvious as personal safety hazards. Thus, it is critical to have a framework to systematically address process hazards in every facility handling or storing hazardous substances. The major purpose of process safety management (PSM) of highly hazardous processed material is to prevent unwanted releases of hazardous chemicals, especially into locations that could expose employees and others to serious hazards.
Process design, process technology, process changes, operational and maintenance activities and procedures, non-routine activities and procedures, emergency preparedness plans and procedures, training programs, and other elements that affect the process are all considered in the evaluation.
What is Process Safety Management?
Process Safety Management (PSM) is a management system that is focused on prevention of, preparedness for, mitigation of, response to, and restoration from catastrophic releases of chemicals or energy from a process associated with a facility or PSM is the proactive application of management principles to a process for the prevention of loss of containment events
PSM is meant to provide a systematic method of dealing with process warning signs and is not meant to replace traditional process safety elements. A PSM system consistently and effectively manages the process hazards throughout the entire process lifetime. PSM establishes management of change as well as developing an appropriate workforce culture and prevents the system from being circumvented or used in a perfunctory manner which may lull management into a sense of complacency .PSM works in conjunction with existing standards of product quality, health, safety& environmental. The benefits of PSM implementation can include, but are not limited to the following:
- Prevention of loss of containment of hydrocarbon or chemical and petrochemical material
- Improvement of operability ,productivity , sustainability and quality of process material plants
- Reduced exposure to lawsuits, penalties, public liability claims
- higher morale, increased trust, and an improved corporate image
AIMS can assist you in close cooperation with its international partners to implement process safety management via these main entry points according to OSHA 3132 and AICHE/CCPS guidelines:
- Engineering Design for Process Safety
- Implementing Process Safety Management Systems
- Process Safety Documentation
- Integrating Process Safety Management, Environment, Safety, Health and Quality
- Preventing Human Error in Process Safety
- Auditing Process Safety Management Systems